EMBRYO RICE- 胚芽米 is a special kind of rice (also known as soft brown rice)
It is the result of another hulling process from brown rice, which removes the Bran (the layer that makes brown rice harder to cook and digest).
After removing the bran (embryo rice), you will then be able to enjoy the goodness of brown rice with its full nutrients but in white rice soft and smooth texture.
The entire nutritional value of rice is concentrated in the embryo bud (germ) which weighs 2-3.5% of the whole rice but yet retains 80% of the nutritional value.
So what’s so special about embryo rice anyways? Hmmmm
The reasons why bran and embryo rice is good for our body are because they are:
- Rich in Vitamin B and E
- Rich in nutrients such as:
Which helps prevents the likelihood of getting anaemia and coronary heart diseases
- Boosts one’s immune system
- Improves bowel movement
- Helps in blood circulation
- Promotes growth of good bacteria (due to the high content of dietary fibre)
And did you know that, you can make your own embryo rice? With just the right machine, you can easily get soft brown rice at home!
For instance, this embryo rice machine turns husk, bran and aleurone layer (protein rich coat formed by the outermost layer of endospermic cells) of brown rice into powdery bran form whilst endosperm and embryo parts form embryo rice such that the natural nutrition of rice grain is retained and the objective of quality lifting, efficiency and minimal wastage is achieved. It is rich in protein and free from any gluten.
However, even though embryo rice is highly nutritious, not many people are keen to consume it on a daily basis. This is mainly because it has a hard texture compared to white rice, which makes it harder to cook and harder to digest. Nevertheless, it is more nutritious than white rice
Therefore!! Here is a way for you to get soft and fluffy embryo rice which will enhance your eating experience
- Bring 12 cups of water to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile rinse the rice in a strainer for about a minute. When water is boiling, add rice to pot and stir once to insure grains are separate and not stuck together.
- Boil for 30 minutes or until desired tenderness, uncovered.
- Drain the rice in a strainer for about 10 seconds, then return to the pot, off the heat.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and let sit for 10 minutes. The rice will steam during this time.
- When the 10 minutes is up, remove the lid, fluff with a fork and serve.
Now that you’ve know more about embryo rice, do try it out with LOHAS Natural Soft Brown Rice Embryo Rice 胚芽糙米 and share with us your homemade dishes together with the soft and fluffy brown rice!